Deckers Outdoor runs up 12% web sales growth in the third quarter
Strong Ugg brand sales helped drive e-commerce sales growth.
, Senior Editor
Deckers Outdoor Corp. racked up sales increases in all categories except domestic Australia sales, which were down slightly.
For the third quarter of fiscal 2014 ended Sept. 30, Deckers, No. 179 in the 2013 Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, reported:
- E-commerce sales of $14.9 million, an increase of about 12.0% from $13.3 million in the third quarter of 2013. Deckers attributed the web sales rise mainly to strong international sales for the Ugg brand and the addition of new international e-commerce sites.
- Total sales of $386.7 million, up by 2.7% from $376.4 million.
- Retail sales increased 34.5% to $52.6 million from $39.1 million.
- Comparable-store sales increased 1.9%.
- Domestic sales decreased 1.4% to $238.8 million from $242.2 million in the same period last year.
- International sales of $147.9 million, up by about 10.2% from $134.2 million.
- Ugg brand boot sales of $337.0 million, up by 1.3% from $332.8 million.
- Teva brand shoe sales of $18.0 million, up by 0.6% from $17.9 million.
- Sanuk brand surfer sandal sales increased 0.5% to $18.4 million from $18.3 million.
- Net incomeof $33.0 million, compared with net income of $43.1 million in the third quarter of 2013.
E-commerce represented 3.9% of total sales for the footwear maker in the third quarter, compared with 3.5% in the comparable period in 2013.
“We are pleased with our current business trends and believe the company is well-positioned for the upcoming holiday period,” says Angel Martinez, president and CEO. “More importantly, we believe the investments we are making in our brands, distribution platforms and supply chain will strengthen our growth profile and enhance our profitability over the long-term.” Martinez did not provide details on those investments.
For the first nine months of fiscal 2014, Deckers reported:
- Online sales of $52.2 million, up by 21.4% from $43.0 million in the same period last year.
- Total sales of $820.6 million, up by about 2.9% from $797.1 million.
- Net incomeof $4.8 million, compared with net income of $31.0 million in the same period of 2013.
E-commerce represented 6.4% of total sales, up from 5.4% in the same period a year earlier.