Costco’s web sales hold steady at a little more than 2% of total revenue
Fourth quarter e-commerce sales were up 8% for the warehouse store giant.
, Associate Director of Research
E-commerce sales and total sales were up slightly in the fourth quarter and fiscal 2013 for warehouse store chain Costco Wholesale Corp.
For the fourth quarter ended Sept. 1, 2013, Costco reported:
- Online sales represented a little more than 2% of total sales. Based on that metric, Internet Retailer estimates Costco brought in more than $63.5 million in e-commerce sales during the quarter, up 8% from about $58.8 million in the same period of last year.
- Net sales were $31.77 billion, a 0.8% increase compared with $31.52 billion.
- Comparable-store sales were up 5% in the U.S. and 4% internationally.
- Net income was $617 million, a 1.3% increase from $609 million.
Costco did not break out full-year e-commerce sales, but did report the following for fiscal 2013:
- Net sales of $102.87 billion, an increase of 6.0% from $97.06 billion in fiscal 2012.
- Net income was $2.04 billion, up 19.3% from $1.71 billion.
- Comparable-store sales were up 6% in the U.S. and internationally for the year.
Costco, No. 16 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, says it plans to launch e-commerce operations in Mexico this fall.