Web sales rise 5% in 2009 at Jo-Ann Stores but ebb heading into 2010
Web sales at the fabric and craft retailer rose 5% year over year to $37.5 million for the 2009 calendar year. But for the fiscal fourth quarter ended Jan. 30, online sales remained flat compared to the year-ago quarter as total sales rose 5%.
Web sales at multichannel fabric and craft retailer Jo-Ann Stores Inc. rose 5% for the 2009 calendar year. But for the fiscal fourth quarter ended Jan. 30, 2010, online sales remained flat, the company says.
For the fiscal fourth quarter:
- Web sales were $12.3 million, flat compared with the prior year quarter.
- Total sales were $606.2 million, up by 5.3% year over year from $571.9 million.
- The web represented 2.2% of sales, compared with 2.0% a year earlier.
- Same-store sales rose 4.4%, compared to a year-ago decrease in same-store sales of 2.9%.
- Net sales at large-format stores increased 7.9% year over year to $323.8 million from $300.1 million, as large-format same-store sales rose 3.1% compared with a year-ago decrease of 4.1%.
- Net sales at small-format stores increased 2.6% year over year to $266.1 million from $259.3 million, as small-format same-store sales rose 6.1% compared to a year-ago decrease of 1.4%.
Jo-Ann Stores sells on the web at Joann.com, No. 256 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide (a PDF version of the company’s financial and operating profile can be ordered by clicking on its name).
For the full fiscal year ended Jan. 30, 2010:
- Total sales increased 4.7% to $1.99 billion from $1.90 billion in the prior year.
- Same-store sales increased 3.1% compared to a year-ago rise of 0.5%.
For the 2009 calendar year:
- Web sales rose 5% to $37.5 million from $35.7 million in the 2008 calendar year.
- Average online ticket was $45, down from $51.25 in 2008.
- Monthly unique visitors was 1.80 million, up 10.4% from 1.63 million in 2008.