The Series B round for Witherspoon’s Draper James brand was led by San Francisco-based Forerunner Ventures.
Web sales grew by 34.2% for the second quarter.
E-commerce and retail sales helped pick up normally flat second quarter results for Deckers Outdoor Corp.
For the quarter ended June 30, Deckers, No. 179 in the Internet Retailer 2013 Top 500 Guide, reported:
- E-commerce sales increased by about 33.8% to $10.7 million from $8.0 million for the same period last year.
- Total sales declined 2.5% to $170.1 million from $174.4 million.
- Retail sales increased 29.0% to $32.5 million from $25.2 million.
- Comparable-store sales decreased 5.3%.
- Domestic sales decreased 3.0% to $110.1 million from $113.5 million in the same period last year.
- International sales decreased 1.6% to $60.0 million from $61.0 million.
- Ugg brand boot sales decreased about 7.0% to $100.4 million from $107.9 million.
- Teva brand shoe sales decreased about 8.5% to $31.2 million from $34.1 million.
- Sanuk brand surfer sandal sales increased 7.5% to $30.1 million from $28.0 million.
- Net loss of $30.6 million, compared with a net loss of $17.8 million in the second quarter of 2012.
E-commerce represented 6.3% of total sales for the footwear maker in the second quarter, compared with 4.6% in the comparable period in 2012.
“We are pleased with the second quarter, and while it is our smallest quarter it was an important transition period for the UGG brand that has positioned the company for a good back half of the year,” says Angel Martinez, president and CEO. “We remain optimistic about our ability to expand sales and margins as we head into our highest volume sales quarters, and we continue to be excited about the many long-term growth opportunities that we believe exist for our business.”
For the first six months:
- E-commerce sales were $37.1 million, up by 24.9% from $29.7 million in the same period last year.
- Total sales were $433.8 million, up by 3.1% from $420.7 million
- Net loss was $28.7 million compared with a net loss of $10.3 million in the first half of 2012.