More than half of the maternity apparel retailer’s online traffic comes from mobile shoppers.
The number of online subscribers increases, too.
Online sales were strong in the third quarter for diet products retailer Weight Watchers International Inc.
For the three months ending Sept. 29, Weight Watchers, No. 61 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, reported:
- Web sales of $124.2 million, up 21.9% from $101.9 million in the third quarter of last year.
- The number of active online subscribers increased about 19.9% to 2.05 million from 1.71 million.
- Total sales of $430.6 million, a 0.5% increase compared with $428.4 million last year.
- Net income of $67.4 million, a 16.5% decrease from $80.7 million.
Online sales accounted for 28.8% of total sales in the quarter, compared with 23.8% in the third quarter of 2011.
“Our Q3 2012 financial results were somewhat better than our expectations, with continued strength of our WeightWatchers.com business being offset in part by pressure on our North American and U.K. meetings business,” says David Kirchoff, president and CEO.
For the first nine months, Weight Watchers reported:
- Internet revenue of $386.8 million, a 29.1% increase from $299.5 million in the first three quarters of last year.
- Total sales were $1.4 million, flat compared to last year.
- Net income was $199.4 million, a 17.3% decrease from $241.2 million.
Web sales represented 27.6% of total sales in the nine months of the year, compared with 21.4% in 2011.