Amazon is growing on-demand services after reporting a 20% sales increase in 2015.
NBTY, a manufacturer and marketer of nutritional supplements and related merchandise, muscled up a 12.3% increase in web sales for the 2009 fiscal year. The web accounted for 47% of direct response/e-commerce sales in 2009 vs. 44% in fiscal 2008.
NBTY Inc., a manufacturer and marketer of nutritional supplements and related merchandise, muscled up a decent increase in web sales for the 2009 fiscal year.
For the fiscal year ended Sept. 30, NBTY, No. 136 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, (a PDF version of the company’s financial and operating profile can be ordered by clicking on its name) reported:
- Annual web sales increased year over year 12.3% to $104.0 million from $92.6 million.
- Total sales increased 18.9% to $2.58 billion from $2.17 billion in fiscal 2008.
- Direct response/e-commerce sales increased year over year 5.2% to $221.4 million from $210.5 million.
- The web accounted for 4% of sales in fiscal 2009 compared with 4.3% in the prior fiscal year.
- The web accounted for 47% of direct response/e-commerce sales in fiscal 2009 compared with 44% in the previous period.
- Net income declined to $146 million from $153 million.
“These results are indicative of the benefits achieved from the successful integration of the Leiner acquisition as well as our strategic position in the marketplace,” says NBTY CEO Scott Rudolph. “We continue to benefit from our operating leverage and expect to maintain our global leadership position in the nutritional supplement industry.” NBTY purchased Leiner Health Products Inc., a manufacturer of store brand vitamins, minerals, and nutritional supplements and supplies, for approximately $371 million in July 2008.
Though it doesn’t break out quarterly web sales, other NBTY fourth quarter results include:
- Total sales increased 12.1% to $674.1 million from $601.5 million in Q4 of fiscal 2008.
- Direct response/e-commerce sales increased year over year 8.3% to $59.9 million from $55.4 million.
- Net income increased to $63.2 million from $17.6 million in Q4 of fiscal 2008.
Puritan.com is NBTY’s flagship nutritional supplements e-commerce site. Others include HollandandBarrett.com, VitaminWorld.com and NaturesBounty.com.