The office supplies retailer say it sacrificed some sales to improve online profitability. It also redesigned its business-facing e-commerce site, StaplesAdvantage.com.
Q2 web sales increased 1.6% for Weight Watchers. The web accounted for 13.5% of total Q2 revenue versus 12.4% of total revenue in the same period of 2008.
Weight Watchers International Inc., No. 84 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide reported the following results for the second quarter of fiscal 2009, ended July 4:
- Q2 web sales were $50.2 million, an increase of 1.6% from $49.4 million in the prior year period.
- The web accounted for 13.5% of total Q2 revenue versus 12.4% of total revenue in the same period of 2008.
- Total revenue was $372.5 million, down 7% from $400 million in the second quarter of 2008, but net income was up by 26% to $58.8 million from $46.6 million in the prior-year period.
For the first six months of fiscal 2009, Weight Watchers reports:
- Web sales were up by 4% to $98.6 million from $94.9 million in the first half of fiscal 2008.
- E-commerce accounted for 13% of total sales for the first half of fiscal 2009, compared with 11.3% for the first half of fiscal 2008.
- Total sales were $763.1 million down 9% from $837 million in the first six months of 2008.
- Net income for the first half of 2009 was $106.1 million, a 2% increase over $104 million in the prior year period.