Retailers shift their ad spending from TV, radio and print ads to digital ads.
It seems fewer consumers spent time and money cultivating their lawns and gardens in May. As a result, the top three home and garden e-retailers cultivated poor traffic numbers last month.
It seems consumers fewer consumers spent time and money cultivating their lawns and gardens in May. As a result, the top three home and garden e-retailers cultivated poor traffic numbers last month when compared to a year earlier, Nielsen Online reports.
Top ranked Home Depot reported flat traffic, while traffic to No. 2 Lowe’s fell 1% and third ranked eBay Home’s unique visitors fell a whopping 50% compared to last year. Meanwhile, Pottery Barn shaped a 73% increase in traffic with 2.22 million unique visitors compared with 1.28 million last May.
The top nine online home and garden shopping destinations in May with unique visitors in millions this year and last and growth from prior year, according to Nielsen Online, were:
- The Home Depot, 13.66, 13.63, 0%
- Lowe’s, 12.36, 12.49, -1%
- eBay Home, 5.85, 11.61, -50%
- Home Shopping Network, 4.03, 3.66, 10%
- Pottery Barn, 2.22, 1.28, 72%
- Jo-Ann.com, 2.18, 1.67, 31%
- Ikea, 2.10, 2.52, -17%
- Northern Tool & Equipment, 1.63, 2.07, -21%
- Menards.com, 1.57, 1.31, 19%
Unique visitors count only once each shopper who comes to a site, no matter how many times the shopper visited. This is a custom list compiled by Internet Retailer of the top e-commerce sites in this category based on Nielsen Online data.
By length of visit, the top 10 home & garden sites in May (minutes:seconds), according to Nielsen Online, were:
- Deere.com, 24:57
- Collections Etc., 23:28
- LionBrand.com, 21:56
- Home Shopping Network, 18:17
- Ikea, 14:49
- Lowe’s, 10:42
- HarborFreight.com, 10:41
- Replacements.com, 10:35
- The Home Depot, 10:01
- Tractor Supply Co., 09:30
The top 10 advertisers in terms of online ad impressions (in millions) last month, according to Nielsen data, were:
- Sears Holdings Corp., Hard Goods, 116.72
- The Clorox Co., Clorox, 78.10
- Sears Holdings Corp., Sears, 54.61
- Valspar, Valspar, 33.40
- Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing Co., 3M, 22.77
- Whirlpool Corp., Platinum, 21.12
- Reckitt Benckiser plc, Resolve, 17.90
- Deere & Co., John Deere, 15.60
- The Procter & Gamble Co., Tide, 15.15
- Royal Philips Electronics, Norelco, 13.32