CEO Sharon Price John says Build-A-Bear’s old e-commerce system is a big reason for disappointing online sales in December.
What is an online retail business worth today?
An exclusive Internet Retailer analysis of 553 privately held Top 1000 e-retailers
Internet Retailer, which has been estimating the online sales of top North American retailers since 2003, now for the first time estimates the value of privately held e-retailers in the Top 1000, which ranks the leading retailers by their online sales.
Internet Retailer reveals in this report its picks for the top 10 online retailers in terms of company value to online sales. The report also includes advice from retailers that have raised money or sold their businesses as well as investment bankers active in the e-commerce arena. For owners of retail businesses, they provide tips on how an entrepreneur can build value in an online retail business and how to prepare for a sale. For investors, they offer guidance on how the value of e-retail businesses has changed in recent years and the qualities of e-retail businesses likely to produce growth and profit in the future.
Both investors and retail owners will find extensive data on how the stock market and private investors have valued e-retailers in recent years and what two big recent deals—the sales of Dollar Shave Club and Jet.com—mean for the investment outlook for both buyers and sellers.
What you get:
- A summary analysis of the value of 553 privately held online retailers, with estimates of valuation multiples broken down by size, merchant type, sales channels and the extent to which retailers offer private-label product.
- An analysis of 25 recent acquisitions of online retailers and the stock market value of 16 publicly held Top 1000 web merchants.
- List of the top 10 privately held Top 1000 online retailers in value-to-sales ratio.
- Advice from retailers and investment bankers on four key strategies that can help a retailer build the value of its online business as well as guidance on how to position an e-retailer for a successful sale or capital raise.
- Tips for investors on what to look for in an online retail business today that is likely to grow in value in the future.
- An article by Lazard Middle Market investment bankers on how an online retailer can build value in the age of Amazon.