JD.com and Alibaba create indexes to identify Chinese shoppers’ spending trends, which help retailers gain insight.
This in-depth, data-driven, 36-page PDF report profiles and compares the largest marketplaces (including Amazon, eBay, Rakuten, Wal-Mart, Jet.com and others) in the United States by total sales transacted on each marketplace, and includes such never-before released metrics such as number of sellers, number of customers, monthly commission fees and other data. The report also analyzes the risks and rewards for retailers selling on marketplaces, both of which are biggest on Amazon.
The report also includes:
- An overview analysis article of the marketplace landscape. How are retailers growing on marketplaces? Which marketplaces are they selling on? What’s working and what isn’t? The article also dives into some of the large retail chains that have launched their own marketplaces, such as Wal-Mart and Sears.
- An exclusive consumer survey conducted by Internet Retailer that reveals what consumers really know about marketplaces—and how they behave on them.
- List of retailers in the Internet Retailer Top 1000 rankings that sell on marketplaces, and how much they sold in 2014 and 2015.
- An exclusive interview with Carly Rosenberg, president of fashion e-retailer Bluefly Inc., about why the merchant changed from a traditional web-only retailer to a marketplace model.
- A data-driven infographic highlighting key stats of the largest marketplaces in the U.S.
- An infographic showcasing Amazon’s growth in gross merchandise value and revenue in the last four years. Also includes growth in Amazon Prime membership and Fulfillment by Amazon.
- Charts on which marketplaces offer fulfillment services and which offer mobile apps to consumers and marketplace sellers.
- A data-driven graphic on eBay’s growth in the last four years, including gross merchandise value and mobile data.
- A page on niche marketplaces that discusses the emergence of marketplaces that focus on specialized categories. This includes a chart on 25 shopping portals that have raised venture capital funding in the last few years.
- A feature on Etsy Inc., one of the most successful niche marketplaces in the U.S, highlighting global gross merchandise value over the last four years, the number of sellers, buyers and products on its site, and an exclusive interview with a long-time Etsy seller. Also includes some data on Amazon’s Handmade marketplace.