83% of online consumers say they’d share such an image on Facebook.
While running extensive online marketing campaigns, web merchants shouldn’t overlook the images they can portray on the packages they ship to customers as a way of winning over other shoppers, says a new study from Dotcom Distribution, a provider of fulfillment services to online retailers.
In a recent online survey it conducted of 300 randomly selected U.S. consumers, Dotcom Distribution found that 83% said they would post on Facebook an image of an “attractively packaged” order received from an online retailer. In addition, it found that nearly 40% would share through social media an image of an online order received in a “unique, branded or gift-like box.”
For multichannel retailers, says Dotcom president Maria Haggerty, “premium packaging for online purchases delivers a brand’s in-store experience to an e-commerce customer.”
The study also found:
● 51% of online consumers said they expect to receive online orders in premium packaging from a retailer that typically provides such packaging in its stores;
● 71% say they expect higher-quality packaging when ordering expensive products online;
● 52% say they are likely to make repeat purchases from an online retailer that delivers orders in premium packaging;
● 53% say premium packaging is particularly important for online orders of jewelry;
● 60% say it’s important for retailers to deliver products in “sustainable” packaging, such as packages made with recycled material.
The complete study is available on Dotcom's web site at www.dotcomdist.com.