Much of the credit goes to high-quality product images, a report says.
When Tiffany & Co. posts a note to Facebook, its fans respond. The luxury brand retailer receives 28,741 combined Likes, comments and shares, on average, per Facebook post, making it the most engaging retailer on the social network, according to a new report by social media marketing vendor Expion LLC.
Expion based its report on its analysis of 50 large retailers’ Facebook pages throughout the first half of the year.
Part of the trick to Tiffany & Co.’s success at driving consumers to interact on Facebook is that its posts feature aspirational, high-quality images—which appear to resonate with its fan base, says Mike Heffring, Expion’s chief marketing officer. 95% of its posts included a photo and the other 5% included a video.
“Tiffany understands its audience,” he says. “And it has honed the content in its posts to give fans what they want to see.” It also has adopted a “quality over quantity” mindset, he says; the brand posted 186 times to Facebook in the first half of the year. For the sake of comparison, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. posted 1,034 times during the same time span. Neither Tiffany nor Wal-Mart are Expion clients.
Here are the top 10 retailers in terms of fan engagement, with their 2013 Top 500 Guide ranking and the number of fan actions per post:
When a consumer engages with a brand’s post, it can lead more shoppers to see the brand’s posts, Heffring says. Each time the consumer interacts with a brand, that action may appear in her friends’ news feeds. The news feed is the first page a user sees when logging on to the social network.