AutoZone’s e-commerce sales increase 80% in the third quarter
The Q2 purchase of AutoAnything contributed to that increase.
E-commerce sales shifted into high gear in the third quarter for auto parts chain retailer AutoZone Inc. as it also reported a growth in overall sales and income.
For the third quarter ended May 4, AutoZone, No. 129 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, reported:
- Online sales, including all sales from AutoZone.com, AutoAnything.com and AllData.com, which sells diagnostic and related repair work software, grew year over year 80.1% to $77.8 million from $43.2 million.
- Total sales of $2.21 billion, an increase of 4.7% from $2.11 billion in the third quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Comparable-store sales decreased 0.1%.
- Online sales accounted for 3.5% of overall sales, up from 2.0% a year earlier.
- Net income increased to $265.6 million, up 6.8% from $248.6 million.
AutoZone’s December acquisition of AutoAnything spurred much of the online sales growth, said William C. Rhodes, AutoZone chairman, president and CEO, during a conference call with analysts about the results. “There are great opportunities for e-commerce sales growth on both a business-to-business basis and to individual customers, or B2C,” Rhodes said. “While these [online] businesses are relatively small for us at just 3.5% of our total sales mix, we are experimenting to understand where the most potential exists.”
For the first three quarters of fiscal 2013 AutoZone reported:
- E-commerce sales of $179.1 million, a 43.7% increase from $124.6 million for the first three quarters of 2012. Web revenue includes all sales from parts and accessories web site AutoZone.com, AutoAnything.com and AllData.com, which sells diagnostic and related repair work software.
- Total sales of $6.05 billion, a 3.6% increase from $5.84 billion.
- Comparable-store sales increased 3.9%.
- Online sales accounted for 3.0% of overall sales, up from 2.1% a year earlier.
- Net income increased 6.4% to $645.3 million compared with $606.6 million in the first nine months of the prior year.
AutoZone’s fiscal year ends Aug. 24.