The average return on Facebook ad spend rises 26% in Q3, according to social media advertising firm Nanigans.
The daily deal operator says that its Groupon Goods division sold $1.137 billion last year, up 150% compared with 2012.
The majority of Groupon Inc.’s business in the fourth quarter stemmed from shoppers buying physical goods via its Groupon Goods division rather than the discount vouchers Groupon built its business on. Groupon Goods accounted for 53.8% of the company’s revenue in the fourth quarter.
“Shoppers increasingly looked to Groupon to fill their holiday needs,” says Eric Lefkofsky, the retailer’s CEO.
For the fourth quarter ended Dec. 31, Groupon, No. 65 in the 2013 Top 500 Guide, reported:
• Revenue increased 20.4% to $768.4 million, compared with $638.3 million in 2012.
• North American revenue of approximately $443.8 million, an 18.2% jump from $375.4 million a year earlier.
• International sales of $324.6 million, a 23.4% gain from $263.0 million in 2012.
• Revenue for Groupon Goods reached $413.7 million, up 32.7% compared with $311.8 million a year earlier.
• Operating income, excluding stock compensation and acquisition-related costs, of $47.9 million, up 249.6% from $13.7 million in 2012.
• A net loss of $78.9 million, compared with a loss of $80.0 million a year earlier.
• Gross billings, which reflects the total amount consumers paid for Groupon vouchers, excluding applicable taxes and refunds, stood at $1.593 billion, a 4.8% increase from $1.520 billion in 2012.
For all of 2013, Groupon reported:
• Revenue increased 10.2% to $2.573 billion, compared with $2.334 billion in 2012.
• North American revenue of approximately $1.521 billion, a 30.4% jump from $1.166 billion a year earlier.
• International sales of $1.052 billion, a 10.0% decline from $1.168 billion in 2012.
• Groupon Goods revenue of $1.137 billion, up 150.0% compared to $454.7 million a year earlier.
• Operating income, excluding stock compensation and acquisition-related costs, of $197.2 million, down 3.2% from $203.7 million in 2012.
• A net loss of $88.9 million, compared with a loss of $51.0 million.
• Gross billings stood at $5.757 billion, a 7.0% increase from $ 5.380 billion in 2012.
Groupon also reported that in December more than half of its transactions were completed on mobile devices. More than 70 million consumers have downloaded Groupon mobile apps worldwide, the company says, with more than 10 million downloading them in the fourth quarter alone.