Chad Ghosn joins the online furniture retailer from Expedia.
Total U.S. web sales increased 12%, comprising 41% of total company sales.
QVC is a mobile monster, ranked No. 3 in the2014 Internet Retailer Mobile 500, behind only Apple Inc. and Amazon.com Inc. And a steadily increasing number of QVC online shoppers continue to go mobile. In the third quarter of 2013, QVC’s U.S. mobile commerce sales grew 63%, reaching $169.2 million, or 31.6% of total web sales, up from $103.8 million, or 21.7% of web sales, in the third quarter of 2012, reports QVC parent company Liberty Interactive Corp.
For the third quarter of 2013 ended Oct. 31, Liberty Interactive, No. 5 in the 2013 Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, reports:
- QVC U.S. web sales increased 11.7% to $535 million, up from $479 million in Q3 2012.
- QVC’s U.S. web sales represented 41.2% of total U.S. sales of $1.30 billion, compared with 38.6% of total U.S. sales of $1.24 billion in Q3 2012. Total U.S. web sales rose 4.8% in Q3 2013 over Q3 2012.
- Total worldwide QVC sales reached $1.95 billion, up 1.6% from $1.92 billion in Q2 2012.
- Worldwide QVC mobile sales jumped 39.4% to $636.7 million from $456.9 million in Q3 2012. Mobile represented 32.7% of total sales in Q3 2013 compared with 23.8% in Q3 2012.
- QVC international sales dropped 5.4% to $644 million from $681 million in Q3 2012.
- Total sales for Liberty Interactive Group’s e-commerce businesses other than QVC increased 7.0% to $298.0 million from $278.5 million in Q3 2012. Those businesses include Backcountry.com, Bodybuilding.com and others.
- QVC U.S. operating income jumped 10.4% to $191 million from $173 million in Q3 2012.
“QVC again posted solid results in the U.S., while the international markets proved more challenging and were negatively impacted by currency fluctuations in Japan and the U.K.” says Greg Maffei, Liberty Interactive president and CEO.
In the third quarter of 2013, Maffei adds, Liberty Interactive announced its plan to create new QVC Group and Liberty Digital Commerce Group tracking stocks (where stock prices are based on the operations of a division being tracked) and repurchased $303 million of Liberty Interactive stock for a total of $854 million repurchased year to date.
For the first three quarters of 2013 compared with the same period in 2012, Liberty Interactive reports:
- QVC U.S. web sales grew 4.0% to $3.91 billion from $3.76 billion.
- QVC total sales increased 1.0% to $5.88 billion from $5.82 billion.
- QVC international sales dropped 4.8% to $1.97 billion from $2.07 billion.
- QVC U.S. operating income grew 3.6% to $578 million from $558 million.