Mattress Firm takes on delivery and setup services for mattress buyers on Wayfair.com.
(Page 2 of 2)
Other findings from the survey include:
- 55% of shoppers say they are likely to shop on Black Friday, or the day after Thanksgiving, compared to 53% in 2012, and 44% in 2011. However, 30% say they will do most of their Black Friday shopping online, compared to 25% in 2012.
- 38% of shoppers surveyed say they are likely to shop on Thanksgiving. Of those shoppers, 41% indicate that they will be out shopping between 6 p.m. Thanksgiving Day and 5 a.m. on Black Friday.
- 73% of respondents say they have already started their holiday shopping or plan to do most of it by the end of November.
- Of the 20% of consumers planning to spend more than last year, 21% intend to raise their spending by $500 or more, and 55% say they will increase their spending by $100-$499. Consumers list treating themselves and their families after a tough year (41%), and increased discretionary income (37%) as top reasons they plan to spend more.
- 52% plan to use cash they had saved specifically to pay for holiday gifts to buy presents.
- Among consumers planning to hit the shops on Thanksgiving Day or Black Friday, 38% expect to visit four or more stores and more than one-third (36%) plan to shop before midnight on Thanksgiving Day.
- And for those planning to shop on Black Friday, 32% say their primary reason to shop that day is to take advantage of deep discounts or doorbuster deals, compared with 26% in 2012. 25% say such deals will be the main lure for shopping on Thanksgiving Day.
- 41%, meanwhile, are content with taking a nap after their turkey and will not be shopping Thanksgiving Day.
- Discount stores are top destinations with 76% of shoppers planning to shop as such stores.
- Gift cards are No. 1 on consumers’ shopping lists with 56% planning to purchase such items. 67% of consumers buying gift cards say they will buy between one and six gift cards this season, and 33% of gift card buyers expect to spend $26-$50 on each card. Gift cards for discount retailers ranked first with 40% of gift card buyers planning to buy cards for discounters. Restaurants ranked second with 34%. 37% of gift card buyer respondents say they will purchase their gift cards at the supermarket.
- Gift cards as gifts were followed by apparel, cited by 54%, toys (44%) and personal electronics, including laptops, tablets and smartphones, with (27%).
- 21% plan to buy home electronics (compared to 15% in 2012), and 19% intend to buy home furnishings, such as appliances and furniture (compared to 10% in 2012).