Byrne returns to his CEO post after his three-month medical leave of absence.
Mobile commerce sales account for 27% of online orders.
Online sales continue to grow for TV shopping channel and online retailer QVC in the first quarter, with sales from mobile devices representing more than one-quarter of web revenue.
For the first quarter ended March 31, Liberty Interactive Corp., No. 5 in the 2013 Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide and the parent company of QVC, reported:
- The web now accounts for 41.8% of all U.S. revenue for QVC compared with 39% in the first quarter of 2012. E-commerce sales totaled $544 million, a 13.1% increase from $481 million in the first quarter of 2012.
- Mobile commerce sales accounted for 27% of QVC.com orders, or $146.9 million.
- Total U.S. QVC sales increased 4.8% to $1.30 billion from $1.24 billion in the first quarter of 2012.
- Total QVC revenue grew year over year 2.1%% to $1.97 billion from $1.93 billion.
- International sales for QVC decreased year over year 2.2% to $677 million from $692 million.
- Total sales for Liberty Interactive’s e-commerce businesses other than QVC grew 20.4% to $544 million from $382 million in Q1 2012.These include Backcountry.com, Bodybuilding.com and others.
- Operating income increased 0.4% to $260 million from $259 million in the first quarter of 2012.
Liberty Interactive cited increased marketing efforts, greater conversion because of site optimization efforts, increased shipping charges, a broader inventory and the Easter holiday falling in the first quarter as reasons for the growth in the first three months of the year.