Retailers shift their ad spending from TV, radio and print ads to digital ads.
The chain has integrated its app and digital payment card with the mobile wallet.
Dunkin’ Donuts is aiming to make purchasing faster and easier for its iPhone and iPod Touch app users by integrating the app with Apple Inc.’s Passbook mobile wallet. Customers now can add their Dunkin’ Donuts digital stored-value cards to Passbook and pay for food, beverages and merchandise at participating U.S. Dunkin’ Donuts restaurants by letting a Dunkin’ employee scan their Dunkin’ pass, the representation of the card within Passbook. The pass includes a two-dimensional QR code that facilitates the transaction between the card in the app and the optical scanner at the cash register.
The Dunkin’ pass also is location-aware, meaning it will appear on a customer’s iPhone or iPod Touch lock screen when he is near his favorite Dunkin’ Donuts location, which he registers when adding his card to Passbook.
“With more than a million downloads in just over six months, the Dunkin’ App continues to make it even easier for our busy, on-the-go guests to keep running on Dunkin’ throughout the day,” says John Costello, chief global marketing and innovation officer at Dunkin’ Brands. “We are always looking for ways to enhance our mobile app and improve our guests’ experience, and we are happy to provide our guests with the added convenience of storing their digital Dunkin’ Donuts cards in Passbook.”
The Dunkin’ app connects customers to the brand with an array of tools and information. App users can:
- Purchase, register and reload a Dunkin’ Donuts card. Customers can purchase a new Dunkin’ Donuts card, add money to an existing card, set a card to auto-recharge and view all previous card transactions. The Dunkin’ app supports payments using American Express, Visa, MasterCard and Discover.
- Pay from the app using a Dunkin’ Donuts card. Customers can purchase Dunkin’ Donuts products with the Dunkin’ app by simply tapping the mobile Dunkin’ Donuts card and presenting the screen to the restaurant employee to be scanned. Balances are updated immediately after a purchase.
- Redeem special offers and promotions. Offers are stored in a distinct section of the app.
- Send a mobile gift. Dunkin’ Donuts cards can be sent to friends and family via e-mail, text message or Facebook. Dunkin’ Donuts cards can be sent in denominations between $2 and $100.
- Locate the nearest Dunkin’ Donuts. A restaurant locator helps customers find directions to and information about local Dunkin’ Donuts restaurants, including store hours, in-store Wi-Fi, drive-thru availability and more.
The Dunkin’ Donuts app is available for free through the Apple App Store and the Google Play store for Android. Apple is No. 2 in the Internet Retailer Mobile 400.