Newly acquired LuckyVitamin.com contributes $10 million in sales.
Third quarter sales were up in all segments for health products retailer General Nutrition Centers Inc.
For the period ending Sept. 30, GNC, No. 203 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, reported:
- GNC.com sales of $24.2 million, a 21.0% increase from $20.0 million in the third quarter of last year. Also, LuckyVitamin.com, which GNC acquired in August 2011, contributed another $9.9 million in sales, bringing the total e-commerce sales for the quarter to $34.1 million. LuckyVitamin.com offers nutritional products and vitamins.
- Retail sales were $445.0 million, a 15.5% increase over $385.2 million last year.
- Total sales, including franchise and wholesale segments, were $621.6 million, up by 15.5% from $538.0 million.
- Comparable-store sales, which include e-commerce sales and domestic company-owned stores, increased 9.8%.
- Net income was $62.2 million, a 27.7% jump from $48.7 million.
E-commerce sales, excluding those from LuckyVitamin.com, comprised 3.9% of total sales during the third quarter, compared with 3.7% last year.
“I am enthusiastic that GNC can deliver sustainable top- and bottom-line growth,” says CEO Joe Fortunato. “We drive into the future with substantial momentum, fueled by an expanding customer base, an improved member pricing program, a simplified pricing strategy, an overhauled marketing program and a comprehensive product development pipeline.”
For the first nine months, GNC also reported:
- GNC.com sales of $76.1 million, a 27.7% increase compared with $59.6 million in the first three quarters of last year. Sales on LuckyVitamin.com contributed an additional $38.5 million, bringing total e-commerce sales to $114.6 million for the period.
- Retail sales were $1.37 billion, a 19.1% increase from $1.15 billion.
- Total sales increased 19.2% to $1.86 billion from $1.56 billion.
- Comparable-store sales increased 12.8%.
- Net income was $192.8 million, up by 103.8% from $94.6 million.
Online sales, excluding LuckyVitamin.com revenue, represented 4.1% of total sales year-to-date, compared with 3.8% last year.