Some retailers launched online deals well in advance of Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
In just four taps, app extends site's deep savings promise to mobile consumers looking to book last minute hotels in over 3145 cities and 61 countries around the globe
SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 11, 2012 -- Hotwire.com®, a leading discount travel site, today announced the launch of its first mobile app, available for free for both the iPhone and iPod touch, aimed at helping travelers on-the-go obtain deep savings on hotel deals in over 3145 cities and 61 countries around the globe. Strategically released prior to the busy holiday travel season, the app enables consumers wherever they are to access Hotwire's entire hotel inventory and book last minute hotel rooms hassle free - in as little as 30 seconds. While the app will work on older-model operating systems and phones, it's optimally designed for the new iOS 6 and iPhone 5.
"Before launching our app, we created an award-winning mobile site through which we've focused on making it as easy as possible to book money-saving travel while on-the-go. In the last year alone, our hotel bookings through that mobile site have grown significantly, further affirming mobile customers like to book last minute, and desire speed and efficiency," said Clem Bason, president of the Hotwire Group. "We gained a lot of insight from that experience and have applied that knowledge to perfect a mobile app that makes last minute hotel booking faster and easier than ever before."
Based on information gleaned from the company's award winning mobile site, whereby more than 80 percent of hotel purchases were made within one day of check-in, Hotwire designed its interactive app to cater to the last minute traveler, who puts keen importance on ease, speed of bookings and savings.
How the App Works:
- When a user opens the app, a one-of-a-kind interactive map pops up that quickly identifies the user's current location and displays available hotels in the user's surrounding area (along with information about the hotels' pricing, star ratings and noted customer feedback)
- If the user is interested in finding a hotel in a different location, all they have to do is enter their desired destination, select a check in/out date, the number of rooms they would like as well as the number of guests in their party
- Users can also view available hotel options in list form by simply tapping the "list" function on the app
- Once a user selects their preferred deal, the app then displays the hotel's amenities, sample comparative brands to what was chosen and the total price of their desired reservation
- To finalize, the user simply hits "continue" and enters their booking information (name, address, credit card, etc.) They then automatically receive a confirmation notice with the exact name and address of their booked hotel.
For an even faster experience, users can also sign into Hotwire.com and store all of their booking and payment information so, that they don't have to enter it every time they book. Signed in members may also store and track their trips in the My Trips section of the app.
Those using the app on Apple's recently-launched iPhone 5 will find that the Hotwire app is optimally designed for the new device and its operating system. The app's dimensions were sized for the larger screen, and Hotwire reservations will automatically sync with the iOS 6 Passbook app.
The Hotwire app is available for free today from the U.S. and Canada App Store on iPhone and iPod touch or at www.iTunes.com/AppStore.
Hotwire.com is a leading discount travel site with low rates on airline tickets, hotel rooms, rental cars, cruises and vacation packages. Launched in 2000, Hotwire negotiates deep discounts from its travel suppliers to help travelers book unsold airline seats, hotel rooms and rental cars. Hotwire is an award-winning website and operating company of Expedia, Inc. CST # 2029030-50. NST: 20003-0209. For more information, visit http://www.hotwire.com. Hotwire operates sites in 8 countries worldwide: www.hotwire.com, www.hotwire.com/uk,www.hotwire.com/ie, www.hotwire.com/au, www.hotwire.com/nz, www.hotwire.com/se, www.hotwire.com/no and www.hotwire.com/dk. In addition to Hotwire, The Hotwire Group of websites includes: www.hotwire.com, www.travel-ticker.com, and www.carrentals.com.
Hotwire, Hotwire.com and the Hotwire logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Hotwire, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. © 2012 Hotwire, Inc. All rights reserved. CST # 2053390-50.