The world’s largest retailer will end free shipping for online orders under $50 Canadian starting April 2.
E-commerce accounted for about 4% of total sales.
More sales online of Deckers Outdoor Corp.’s well-known Ugg brand and the launch of a new site in the United Kingdom helped drive a healthy increase in the footwear manufacturer and retailer’s second quarter e-commerce revenue.
For the second quarter ended July 1, Deckers, No. 169 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, reported:
- Web sales increased 9.6% to $5.7 million from $5.2 million in the second quarter of 2010.
- Total sales year over year grew 12.4% to $154.2 million from $137.2 million.
- Comparable-store sales increased 23.6%.
- Retail sales increased 101.0% to $20.1 million from $10.0 million in the second quarter of 2010.
- Net loss was $7.5 million compared with net income of $8.9 million in the second quarter of 2010.
“Sales for the e-commerce business increased and was primarily attributable to higher demand for the Ugg brand driven by new product introductions and enhanced marketing efforts combined with the launch of the Ugg brand’s United Kingdom web site,” says CEO Angel Martinez.
Internet Retailer calculates the web accounted for 3.7% of total sales compared with 3.8% in the prior year.
For the first two quarters Deckers also reported:
- Web sales increased 23.7% to $29.2 million from $23.6 million in the second quarter of 2010.
- Total sales year over year grew 22.5% to $359.0 million from $293.0 million.
- Net income dropped 54.4% to $12.3 million from $27.0 million.
Internet Retailer calculates the web accounted for 8.1% of total sales, the same as in the prior year.