Target and Toys R Us posted overall sales declines during the holidays.
Starting salaries for SEO pros are up nearly 18%, Crandall Associates says.
Starting salaries for specialists in search engine optimization have increased 17.5% from a year ago, Crandall Associates Inc. reports in a new salary guide for online professionals.
The firm’s 2011 edition of its annual “Online Marketing Salary Guide” notes that specialists in search engine optimization are earning a base salary this year of $59,100, up from $50,300 as reported in Crandall’s study from a year ago. For purposes of the study, base salary refers to the lowest salary for a given position. “Nearly all positions are up in salaries, but the positions that involve producing measurable results, like search engine optimization, are the ones being compensated the most generously,” says Wendy Weber, president of Crandall Associates.
The sharp rise in the base salaries of SEO specialists indicates that companies are looking to attract more newcomers to the field. The 2011 study puts the average salary for SEO specialists at $75,000, barely up from $74,900 a year ago, while the high-end salary figure increased 2.6% to $87,300 from $85,100.
Crandall defines SEO specialists at marketing professionals who are “responsible for getting web sites ranked in top positions on all major search engines utilizing relevant and popular keywords.”
Following is a partial list of the base, average and high salaries for online professionals as listed in the 2011 study:
● director, e-commerce $99,900, $125,900, $167,500
● manager, web analytics $70,000, $78,200, $91,500
● director, Internet marketing $84,100, $101,200, $125,800
● manager, e-mail marketing $61,100, $73,800, $88,300
● specialist, search engine optimization $59,100, $75,000, $87,300
Following is a partial list of the base, average and high salaries for online professionals as listed in Crandall’s 2010 study:
● director, e-commerce $98,100, $125,900, $167,200
● manager, web analytics $67,900, $76,100, $89,500
● director, Internet marketing $82,700, $100,500, $125,000
● manager, e-mail marketing $60,600, $73,500, $87,800
● specialist, search engine optimization $50,300, $74,900, $85,100