At least one brand’s e-mail prank caused some social media backlash among consumers.
To make it easier for travelers to reach their gates and board its planes, American Airlines is offering at 27 airports a feature that lets its customers not only buy their tickets online but also have the boarding pass loaded to a mobile device.
To make it easier for travelers to reach their gates and board its airplanes, American Airlines is offering at 27 airports a feature that lets its customers not only buy their tickets online but also have the boarding pass loaded to a mobile device.
"Customers who choose this option can bypass printing a boarding pass at their home, office or even at the airport,” says Andrew Watson, American`s vice president, customer technology. “At the airport they can go straight to the security checkpoint and then to the aircraft.”
The system uses 2-dimensional bar codes that appear on mobile device screens and are presented to airport security officials and gate attendants in place of a conventional paper boarding pass. A traveler must enter an active e-mail address at the airline’s AA.com to receive the electronic boarding pass on a cell phone or other mobile device. The system can also be used to check bags.
The electronic mobile boarding pass is good for American Airlines flights departing the following airports:
• Albuquerque International (ABQ)
• Austin-Bergstrom International (AUS)
• Charlotte Douglas International (CLT)
• Chicago`s O`Hare International (ORD)
• Cleveland Hopkins International (CLE)
• Dallas-Fort Worth International (DFW)
• Denver International (DEN)
• El Paso International (ELP)
• Houston George Bush Intercontinental (IAH)
• Jackson Atlanta International (ATL)
• Jacksonville International (JAX)
• John Wayne Orange County (SNA)
• Las Vegas McCarran International (LAS)
• Los Angeles International (LAX)
• Little Rock Adams Field (LIT)
• Memphis International (MEM)
• Minneapolis–St. Paul International (MSP)
• New York La Guardia (LGA)
• Oklahoma Will Rogers World (OKC)
• Orlando International (MCO)
• Phoenix Sky Harbor (PHX)
• Salt Lake City International (SLC)
• San Antonio International (SAT)
• San Diego International (SAN)
• San Francisco International (SFO)
• Tulsa International (TUL)
• Washington Dulles International (IAD)