Alibaba’s Tmall Global now features goods from 14,500 overseas brands, 80% of them selling in China for the first time.
The fastest growing tool e-retailers are using to guard against payment fraud is technology that warns merchants of transactions generated on devices that have been used to commit online fraud, CyberSource says.
Among the many tools online retailers use to guard against payment fraud, the fastest growing is technology that warns merchants of payment transactions generated on Internet access devices that have been used to commit online fraud, CyberSource Corp. says in its 11th Annual Survey of eCommerce Fraud.
The report, which is based on responses from 352 retailers surveyed from Sept. 10 through Oct. 7, 2009, notes that 27% plan to use device fingerprinting this year. The second most popular online payment fraud-prevention tool was IP geolocation, cited by 22% of retailers as something they plan to use this year. IP geolocation lets online retailers see the country from where a shopper is placing an online order, enabling the retailer to see if the order is coming from a location known for a high rate of fraudulent orders, then decide if the order needs to be blocked or closely reviewed.
Following are the automated fraud-detection tools cited in the survey, with the percentages of respondents who were using the tools in 2009 and who plan to start using them this year:
- Device “fingerprinting” identification, 9%, 27%
- IP geolocation, 27%, 22%
- Verified by Visa/MasterCard Secure Code, 29%, 20%
- Customer order history, 44%, 16%
- Web site customer behavior analysis, 19%, 16%
- Order velocity monitoring, 35%, 14%
- Card verification number, 77%, 14%
- Shared negative lists, 16%, 13%
- Fraud-scoring model (company-specific), 28%, 13%
- Postal address validation service, 34%, 12%
- Telephone number verification, 24%, 12%
- Multi-merchant purchase velocity, 12%, 11%
- Address verification service, 76%, 10%
- Positive lists, 21%, 10%
- Negative lists (in-house), 40%, 8%
- Public records service, 13%, 8%
- In-wallet/out-of-wallet challenge/response, 5%, 7%
- Other, 4%, 7%
- Credit history check, 5%, 5%