GNC boosts web sales 28% in Q2
Plus, newly acquired LuckyVitamin.com added $14.1 million in online revenue.
, Associate Director of Research
Sales were up across all channels for health products retailer General Nutrition Centers Inc. in the second quarter.
For the three months ending June 30, 2012, GNC, No. 203 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, reported:
- Sales on GNC.com of $24.9 million, a 28.4% increase from $19.4 million for the same period in 2011. In addition, LuckyVitamin.com, which GNC acquired Aug. 31, 2011, contributed $14.1 million in online sales for the second quarter of 2012, bringing the company’s total online sales for the quarter to $39.0 million.
- Total retail sales of $458.7 million, up 19.4% from $384.3 million in Q2 2011.
- Total sales, including franchise and wholesale segments, of $619.1 million, an increase of 19.4% compared with $518.5 million.
- Comparable-store sales, which includes e-commerce sales and domestic company-owned stores, increased 12.9%.
- Net income was $66.7 million, an 85.3% jump from $36.0 million in the second quarter of 2011.
"GNC delivered another very strong quarter, as we continue to see strength across all business units,” says Joe Fortunato, president & CEO. “In retail, each category contributed to our same-store sales increase, which continues to be fueled by the success of our leading proprietary brands and products. “
E-commerce sales comprised 4.0% of total sales and 5.4% of all retail sales for GNC during the second quarter, compared with 3.7% and 5.0%, respectively, last year.
For the first six months, GNC reported:
- Web sales of $51.9 million, a 31.4%% jump compared with $39.5 million in the first half of 2011.
- A 20.9% increase in total retail sales to $928.5 million from $768.0 million.
- Total sales, including franchise and wholesale segments, of $1.24 billion, a 21.6% increase compared with $1.02 billion last year.
- Comparable-store sales, including e-commerce and domestic company-owned stores, increased 14.4%.
- Net income of $130.5 million, a 184.3% jump from $45.9 million for the first six months of 2011.
Web sales comprised 4.2% of total sales and 5.6% of retail sales in the first half of the year, compared with 3.9% and 5.1%, respectively, last year.
GNC raised its 2012 outlook to the following:
- Total sales of $2.43 billion for the full year 2012, which would represent a 17.5% increase over 2011 revenue of $2.07 billion. The company previously projected a 14.5% sales increase for the year.
- A boost of 11.5% in domestic company-owned same-store sales for the full year 2012, including e-commerce sales. This is up from a previous projection of a 10.0% increase.