Roger Hardy, who in February sold web-only eyewear company Coastal Contacts for $385.7 million, will consolidate OnlineShoes.com and ShoeMe.ca.
For the first three quarters, web sales grew almost 17%
A 31% increase in North American e-commerce sales helped American Apparel Inc. grow its total web retail sales almost 14.3% in the second quarter.
For the third quarter ended September 30, American Apparel, No. 284 in the Internet Retailer 2013 Top 500 Guide, reported:
- Total e-commerce sales increased 14.3% to about $13.6 million from $11.9 million in the third quarter of 2012.
- North American online retail sales, including the United States and Canada, grew 31.1% to about $9.7 million from about $7.4 million.
- International e-commerce sales decreased by 11.1% to about $4 million from $4.5 million in 2012.
- Comparable-store sales increased 2%.
- Total sales increased about 1.4% to $164.54 million from $162.16 million.
- Net loss was $1.51 million compared with a net loss of $19.01 million in the third quarter of 2012.
- The web accounted for about 8.3% of all sales compared with about 7.3% in the third quarter of 2012.
For the first six months of 2013, the retail chain reported:
- Total e-commerce sales increased 16.9% to about $43 million from $36.8 million in the first three quarters of 2012.
- North American online retail sales, including the U.S. and Canada, grew 26.3% to about $28.8 million from about $22.8 million.
- International e-commerce sales grew 0.7% to about $14.2 million from $14.1 million.
- Comparable-store increased 5%.
- Total sales increased about 4.6% to $464.8 million from $444.3 million.
- Net loss was $85.5 million compared with a net loss of $42.2 million in the first three quarters of 2012.
- The web accounted for about 9.3% of all sales compared with about 8.3% in the first half of 2012.
American Apparel is encouraged by the growth shown in online sales, says CEO Dov Charney. “There are great opportunities for online growth,” Charney says, “and there is a resurgence of interest in Made in USA clothing especially within the wholesale ad-specialty industry. Private label orders are also up significantly and we anticipate a lot of growth in that area.”