The social network is making the 15-second ads available to a select group of advertisers. The videos start playing without sound. When a consumer ...
Online sales for Express rise 30% in 2012
The apparel retailer's overall sales grow nearly 4%.
Shoppers are increasingly going online to buy from specialty apparel chain retailer Express Inc., as its web sales increased more than 30% compared to a year ago. However, that includes an extra week of sales because Express changed its fiscal calendar last year so that its fiscal 2012 spanned 53 weeks, including 14 weeks in the fourth quarter. The retailer’s fiscal 2011 lasted 52 weeks, including 13 weeks in the fourth quarter.
For the year ended Feb. 4, Express, No. 102 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, reported:
- Web sales rose 30.3% in 2012 to $271.0 million from $208.0 million in 2011, according to numbers provided to Internet Retailer by the retailer.
- Total sales increased year over year 3.9% to $2.15 billion from $2.07 billion.
- Comparable-store sales were flat.
- Net income dipped 1.0% to $139.3 million in 2012 from $140.7 million in 2011.
Internet Retailer calculates the web accounted for 12.6% of total sales in 2012 from 10.0% in 2011.
For the fourth quarter:
- Web sales increased 39.4% to $120.9 million from $86.7 million in the fourth quarter of 2011, according to Internet Retailer calculations based on the retailer’s previously reported numbers.
- Total sales increased 8.2% to $728.7 million from $673.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2011.
- Comparable-store sales increased 1.5%.
- Net income increased 5.8% to $63.9 million from $60.4 million in Q4 2011.
Internet Retailer calculates the web accounted for 16.6% of total sales in the fourth quarter of 2012, up from 12.9% in 2011.
In addition to its place in the Top 500 Guide, Express is No. 82 in the Internet Retailer Mobile Top 400 and No. 69 in the Internet Retailer Social Media 300. It was also included in Internet Retailer’s Hot 100 list of outstanding e-commerce sites in 2012.