In its second-largest acquisition, Amazon buys the company for $970 million.
The shoe maker and retailer sees web and total sales rise 18% and 49%, respectively.
Deckers Outdoor Corp., which makes and retails Ugg boots and other footwear brands, continued its hot sales growth streak in the third quarter.
For the quarter ended Sept. 30, Deckers, No. 169 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, reported:
- Online sales increased 18.3% to $10.3 million from $8.7 million in Q3 of 2010. The increase was mainly the result of higher demand for the UGG brand fueled by new product introductions and enhanced marketing efforts, combined with the launch of the UGG brand’s United Kingdom web site, the company says.
- Total sales of $414.4 million, up by 49.1% from $277.9 million.
- Comparable-store sales rose 15.4%.
- UGG brand sales increased 47.3% to $376.7 million from $255.8 million.
- Net income for the quarter was $62.5 million up by 48.5% from $42.1 million in the prior year period.
Internet Retailer estimates the web accounted for 24.9% of sales in the third quarter, compared with 31.3% in the prior year period.
Deckers Outdoor web sales grew 21.3% in 2010, to $91.8 million from $75.7 million in 2009. In the first quarter of 2011, e-commerce sales grew almost 27.7%, to $23.5 million from $18.4 million in the prior year quarter.
Deckers Outdoors did not break out all sales metrics for the first nine months of 2011, but based on prior earnings reports Internet Retailer calculates:
- Web sales grew 22.3%, to $39.5 million from $32.3 million in the same period last year.
- Total sales increased 35.5%, to $773.4 million from $570.9 million.
- Net income grew 7.7%, to $74.3 million from $69.0 million, the company says.
Internet Retailer estimates the web accounted for 51.1% of sales for the period, compared with 56.6% last year.
“We experienced higher domestic wholesale demand for the UGG brand fall line versus a year ago driven by the introduction of several new styles and new collections, including a broader assortment of men’s product,” says Angel Martinez, CEO.