Sales from mobile devices increased 101% in the first quarter compared to the same quarter last year for more than 350 retailer clients of ...
Web sales and everything else fall for Talbots in Q2
E-commerce and direct sales decline 8.3% and 13.6%, respectively.
Sales were down across the board, including e-commerce, for The Talbots Inc. in the second quarter.
For the second quarter ended July 30, Talbots, No. 112 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, reported:
- Web sales decreased 8.3% to $35.5 million from $38.7 million in the second quarter of 2010.
- Total revenue declined 9.9% to $271.0 million from $300.7 million in first quarter of 2010.
- Direct marketing sales declined year over year 13.6% to $43.1 million from $49.9 million. The web accounted for about 82.4% of all direct sales, compared with 77.6% in the prior year, the retailer says.
- Comparable-store sales declined 10.4%.
- Net loss was $37.3 million compared with net income of $941,000 in the second quarter of 2010.
Internet Retailer calculates the web accounted for 13.1% of total sales, compared with 12.9% in the prior year. “Our second quarter results reflect high levels of promotional and markdown activity,” says CEO Trudy Sullivan.
For the first two quarters:
- Web sales increased 0.6% to $81.2 million from $80.7 million in the first two quarters of 2010.
- Total revenue declined 7.9% to $572.4 million from $621.4 million.
- Direct marketing sales declined year over year 8.3% to $103.6 million from $113.0 million. The web accounted for about 78.4% of all direct sales, compared with 71.5% in the prior year, the retailer says.
- Net loss was $36.6 million compared with a net loss of $3.4 million.
Internet Retailer calculates the web accounted for 14.2% of total sales, compared with 13.0% in the prior year.