In its second-largest acquisition, Amazon buys the company for $970 million.
The web accounted for just over 2% of total sales.
E-commerce turned in a respectable performance for car parts retailer AutoZone Inc. in the second quarter.
For the second quarter of fiscal 2011 ended Feb. 12, AutoZone reported:
- Web sales, including all sales from AutoZone.com and AllData.com, which sells diagnostic and related repair work software, grew year over year 11.1% to $37 million from $33.3 million.
- Total sales increased 13.3% to $1.79 billion from $1.58 billion.
- Comparable-store sales increased 7.1%.
- Net income increased 20% to $148 million from $123.3 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2010.
“We remain committed to our disciplined approach of growing operating earnings while efficiently utilizing our capital,” says CEO Bill Rhodes.
Internet Retailer calculates the web accounted for 2.1% second quarter, the same as in the prior year. AutoZone is No. 109 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide.
For the first two quarters:
- AutoZone didn’t break out year-to-date web sales. But based on its first quarter numbers, Internet Retailer calculates web sales for the first six months of fiscal 2011 grew 11.3% to $73.7 million from $66.2 million in the prior year.
- Total sales increased 11.7% to $3.45 billion from $3.09 billion.
- Net income increased 20.1% to $320.1 million from $266.6 million in the first two quarters of fiscal 2010.
Internet Retailer calculates the web accounted for 2.1% in the first two quarters, the same as in the prior year.
In February, AutoZone joined the ranks of chain retailers signing up for ShopRunner, a program from GSI Commerce Inc. that offers consumers free two-day shipping and free returns from multiple web merchants for a $79 annual fee. “ShopRunner will provide additional convenience and savings to AutoZone customers, serving to build out and enhance our existing online functionality and shopping experience,” says AutoZone vice president of e-commerce Jamey Traywick. “We look at ShopRunner as a central component of our customer service offering.”