The search giant first rolled out yellow ad labels next to paid links on smartphones and tablets, and in recent months the labels have ...
Q2 web sales trend downward for Indigo
Internet sales decline year over year by 7%.
Web sales took another turn downward for Canadian books retailer Indigo Books & Music Inc. in the second quarter of fiscal 2011, the retailer reported in its recently filed quarterly financial report.
For the second quarter ended Oct. 2 Indigo reported:
- Web sales declined 7% to C$18.6 million (US$18.5 million) from C$20.0 million (US$19.9 million).
- Total sales increased 11% to C$214.8 million (US$213.9 million) from C$193.6 million (US$192.8 million) in the first quarter of fiscal 2010.
- Comparable-store sales for superstores decreased 0.7% while same-store sales for small-format stores decreased 4.8%.
- Net loss was C$1.7 million (US$1.69 million) compared with a net profit of C$2.2 million (US$2.19 million) in the prior year.
“The increased loss was expected as we continue to invest in the growth and development of our digital initiatives and the re-development of our stores to accommodate growth in our gift and toy businesses,” says CEO Heather Reisman.
Internet Retailer calculates the web accounted for 8.7% of sales compared with 10.3% in the prior year.
For the first two quarters Indigo reported:
- Web sales declined 3.6% to C$37.7 million (US$37.6 million) from C$39.1 million (US$38.9 million) in the first half of fiscal 2010.
- Total sales increased 4.6% to C$419.1 million (US$417.5 million) from C$400.5 million (US$398.9 million).
- Net loss was C$7.1 million (US$7.07 million) compared with a net loss of C$104,000 (US$103,600 million) in the prior year.
Internet Retailer calculates the web accounted for 9% of sales compared with 9.8% in the prior year. Indigo is No. 161 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide.