In its second-largest acquisition, Amazon buys the company for $970 million.
The site enables users to share information and become fans of businesses.
IRVINE, Calif., Nov. 3, 2010 – Local.com Corporation (NASDAQ: LOCM), a leading local search site and network, today announced the relaunch of the company’s flagship search site, Local.com (http://www.local.com/) and the debut of its repositioned brand.
The relaunched Local.com site provides a lifestyle enhancing local search environment including the vertical categories of Businesses, Coupons and Events, each of which contain rich content that is of great interest to Local.com’s target audience – busy "household managers/soccer moms." This target is broadly defined as women between the ages of 25-45 with one or more children at home. The site incorporates many new features and improved functionality, including the ability for users to engage in their communities by sharing information, and reviewing and becoming fans of businesses. Additional features and functionality include:
- Enhanced business listings leveraging rich, local data from new sources
- Four types of coupons in one location, including:
- Local merchant deals and printable coupons
- Online coupon codes
- Weekly circulars
- Grocery ads and national coupons
- Improved Events functionality, including the ability to search by keyword, date, or category
- A new articles section featuring original content on Food, Wellness, Fun, Household, Shopping, and Finance
- Social tools, including the ability to “fan” businesses, share listings via social networks or email, follow other users' reviews, and more
- New and improved search filtering capabilities
- “Type-ahead” entry for location search, ensuring more relevant results
- Enhanced and optimized local search algorithms to deliver more relevant search results in less time
"The new Local.com is a massive improvement in our ability to serve our household manager target demographic. We’re intent on delivering a very different local search experience than you might receive on the major search engines," said Rajan Mohan, senior vice president and general manager, owned and operated, Local.com. “Our flagship property incorporates many visible as well as behind-the-scenes enhancements, and we look forward to further innovating within the local search space in order to better serve the needs of busy household managers in their local communities nationwide.”
The company’s repositioned brand includes a new logo and colors and represents a new branding initiative designed to better connect Local.com to its target consumers as well as the companies that advertise on the site. The brand has been repositioned to satisfy the needs of busy household managers who are one of the fastest growing groups of active Internet users seeking information to enhance their local lifestyle.
"Today's household managers are both Internet-dependent and extremely busy. Our focus is singular - to provide valuable, relevant local information that enables consumers to make educated local purchasing decisions that enrich their lives," said Steven Schindler, vice president of marketing, Local.com.
Local.com Corporation (NASDAQ: LOCM) owns and operates a leading local search site and network in the United States. The company uses patented and proprietary technologies to provide over 20 million consumers each month with relevant search results for local businesses, products and services on Local.com and over 1,000 partner sites. Local.com powers over 100,000 local websites, and tens of thousands of small business customers use Local.com products and services to reach consumers using a variety of subscription, performance and display advertising and website products. To advertise, or for more information visit: www.local.com.