For Jack Ma, executive chairman of Alibaba Group Holdings, today is an extremely busy and lucrative day because the company he founded 15 years ...
In the third quarter, web sales increased 15.3% while total sales rose 10.5%.
The web accounts for an ever-increasing percentage of sales at TV and online retailer HSN Inc.
For the third quarter ended Sept. 30, HSN, No. 25 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, reported:
- Web sales increased 15.3% to $274.9 million from $238.5 million in the third quarter of 2009.
- Total sales grew year over year 10.5% to $708.4 million from $641.2 million.
- Total sales for the HSN brand grew year over year 5.7% to $493.7 million from $467 million.
- Total sales for the Cornerstone brand grew year over year 23.2% to $214.7 million from $174.2 million.
- Average ticket was $60.25.
- Net income decreased 10.2% to $14.9 million from $16.6 million in the third quarter of 2009.
- Web sales accounted for 38.8% of total revenue compared with 37.2% in the third quarter of 2009.
“HSNi's net sales growth of 10% reinforces the strength of the HSN and Cornerstone brands,” says CEO Mindy Grossman. “Our efforts to reach customers across multiple channels continue to be successful and contributed to an e-commerce net sales gain of 15% in the quarter.”
For the first nine months:
- Web sales increased 12.8% to $686.8 million from $609 million in the prior year period.
- Total sales grew year over year 8.9% to $2.08 billion from $1.91 billion in the same period in 2009.
- Total sales for the HSN brand grew year over year 5.8% to $1.47 billion from $1.39 billion in the same period in 2009.
- Total sales for the Cornerstone brand grew year over year 17% to $602.5 million from $514.8 million in the period of January through September in 2009.
- Net income increased 72.8% to $57.2 million from $33.1 million in the prior year period.
HSN broke out the percentage of e-commerce revenue of total sales for its third quarter, but not year-to-date numbers. For the first nine months of the year, Internet Retailer calculates the web accounted for 33.0% of total sales, compared with 31.9% in the prior year.