August 18, 2010, 1:56 PM

E-retailers miss opportunities to welcome new subscribers

Only 1% of Internet Retailer’s Top 500 e-retailers send two or more welcome messages.

Lead Photo

Only 1% of Internet Retailer Top 500 companies send two or more welcome messages to new e-mail subscribers, according to e-mail marketing firm Listrak. Nearly half of Internet Retailer Top 500 companies, 49%, send no welcome e-mails at all. The remaining 51% of e-retailers send at least one welcome message.

Listrak defines a new e-mail subscriber as someone who opts in to receive promotional e-mails from the retailer.

“Failing to send a welcome message is truly a missed opportunity to engage customers,” says Ross Kramer, CEO of Listrak. Kramer says automated welcome messages provide opportunities to reach new customers or potential new customers when they are likely to respond.

Listrak says welcome messages have a high open rate. For example, a Listrak client, Kelly’s Running Warehouse, has a 72% open rate on its welcome message, and a click-through rate of 43%. 

Of the seven Top 500 e-retailers that sent multiple messages, five e-retailers sent the first welcome message immediately. The remaining retailers sent the first welcome message the following day. Of the 51% of all Top 500 retailers that sent at least one message, 40% included a discount as a thank you for subscribing and 16% personalized the welcome greeting with customers’ names.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

From IR Blogs

FPO

Ernie Diaz / E-Commerce

Can Tencent win the mobile commerce battle with Alibaba?

The two Chinese Internet giants are increasingly encroaching on each other’s territories. A Beijing-based marketing ...

FPO

Matt Swan / E-Commerce

Do cash-back sites really drive incremental sales?

Yes, suggest data from Affiliate Window, an affiliate marketing network. And consumers spend more when ...

Advertisement