Consumers flock to FreeShipping.com to snap up deals for no-cost shipping this week. Meanwhile, Amazon is running out of some of its goodies and ...
Web sales drop for Build-A-Bear in Q2
E-commerce sales for the second quarter declined 4%.
So far it hasn’t been a very good year online for Build-A-Bear Workshop Inc.
For the second quarter ended July 3, Build-A-Bear, No. 493 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, reported:
- Web sales declined 4.1% to $6.76 million from $7.05 million in the second quarter of 2009.
- Total sales declined 10.5% to $74.1 million from $82.8 million in the second quarter of 2009.
- Comparable-store sales decreased 10%
- Net loss was $8.5 million compared with a net loss of $6 million in the prior year.
“Our second quarter sales declined from a year ago driven by a shift that moved Easter into our first quarter this year versus the second quarter last year and later school dismissals that adversely impacted our May results," says Build-A-Bear Workshop CEO Maxine Clark.
Internet Retailer calculates the web accounted for 9.1% of total sales, the same as the prior year.
For the first six months, Build-A-Bear also reported:
- Web sales declined 3.3% to $13.63 million from $14.09 million.
- Total sales declined 2.7% to $175.6 million from $180.5 million.
- Net loss was $6.8 million compared with the same figure in the prior year.
Internet Retailer calculates the web accounted for 7.8% of total sales, the same as the prior year.