The TV and web retailer will bring its e-commerce and video programming to France in 2015. QVC already sells in Germany, Italy and the ...
Online traffic increase bodes well for retail sites, Compete says
Traffic to major online retail sites in September was up 10% year over year, Compete says. In several categories, the traffic increase was above 30%, including online photo.
Traffic to 200 leading online retail sites was up 10% in September year over year, a possible sign of a strong holiday season for e-retailers, says web measurement firm Compete Inc.
There was considerable variation by product category, however. Jewelry and watches and auction sites registered single-digit increases in unique visitors for the month. On the other hand, several categories grew by 30% over September 2008, notes Matt Pace, managing director for retail and consumer products. Those include books, department stores, health and beauty, office supplies, toy, and online photo.
Among individual e-commerce sites, the CVS.com site of the drugstore chain more than doubled its traffic in September to 5.9 million, and ranked 20th on the list of most-visited sites. Amazon.com was the top site in traffic, with 68.7 million unique visitors, more than double the 30.8 million of No. 2 Walmart.com. Amazon’s traffic increased 23.3% year over year and Walmart.com’s traffic was up 23.0%, says Compete, a unit of TNS Media.
Here are the 15 retail categories tracked by Compete with total shoppers in September, and month over month and year over year change in traffic:
- Apparel 48,179,589, 3.1%, 19.5%
- Auction 73,396,498, -4.5%, 7.4%
- Books & Media 42,301,864, 17.6%, 30.4%
- Consumer Electronics 51,170,492, -2.7%, 12.8%
- Department Stores 39,353,159, 2.7%, 33.0%
- Health & Beauty 28,446,355, 4.7%, 36.4%
- Home Décor 28,375,004, 15.4%, 29.6%
- Home Improvement 23,625,133, -1.2%, 13.3%
- Jewelry & Watches 3,516,739, 6.0%, 9.3%
- Mass Merchants & Wholesale Clubs 97,971,772, -1.1%, 16.2%
- Office Supplies 20,171,189, 0.2%, 43.5%
- Online Photo & Personalization 20,381,165, 46.1%, 32.3%
- Pets 5,283,925, 4.0%, 11.1%
- Sporting Goods 18,486,565, -4.4%, 11.3%
- Toys 14,088,922, 9.2%, 30.5%