September 23, 2009, 12:00 AM

Albums dominate music downloads over past 12 months at eMusic.com

Digital music retailer eMusic.com reports that during the past year full album downloads accounted for 72% of its worldwide sales. Single tracks accounted for the remaining 28% of total sales.

Mark Brohan

Research Director

Digital music retailer eMusic.com Inc. reports that during the past year full album downloads accounted for 72% of its worldwide sales. Single tracks accounted for the remaining 28% of total sales. Since introducing discounted album pricing on select titles in July, album sales have risen to 75% of total sales, on average, the company says. The company did not reveal specific figures

EMusic, No. 153 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, says its customers have purchased more complete albums than individual tracks for the last several years, with full albums accounting for an average of about 69% of total sales worldwide since 2006.

“While Apple and their major label suppliers continue to figure out how to make albums more appealing to music buyers, eMusic customers already purchase more albums than single tracks,” says Danny Stein, eMusic President and CEO. “Although the majority of our customers are over the age of 25, we encourage them to buy more music with subscription and album pricing and more musical context than any other service.”

EMusic drives complete album purchases with editorial features that provide background on albums for sale, including career surveys of leading artist’s catalogues, examining an artist’s peers and influencers, and overviews of genres, labels and favorites. Additionally, eMusic’s album and artist pages include related artist information from social media including YouTube, Flickr and Wikipedia.

Comments

Sign In to Make a Comment

Comments are moderated by Internet Retailer and can be removed.

Not a member? Signup for free today!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Relevant Commentary

FPO

Jason Squardo / Mobile Commerce

Five tips for achieving high mobile search rankings

Searches on mobile devices will soon exceed those on computers, Google says. Retailers that keep ...

FPO

Sergio Pereira / B2B E-Commerce

Quill turns to its B2B customers for new ideas

Coming in April is a new section of Quill.com that will let customers and Quill ...

Advertisement