Roger Hardy, who in February sold web-only eyewear company Coastal Contacts for $385.7 million, will consolidate OnlineShoes.com and ShoeMe.ca.
U.S. Internet users viewed a record 14.3 billion online videos in December, up 13% from just the previous month, comScore Inc. reports. The average online video viewer watched 309 minutes of video, or more than 5 hours.
U.S. Internet users viewed a record 14.3 billion online videos in December, up 13% from just the previous month, comScore Inc. reports. Nearly 150 million U.S. Internet users watched an average of 96 videos each in December.
Google sites, which include YouTube, surpassed 100 million online video viewers in December, representing two out of every three Internet users who watched video. Fox Interactive ranked second with 56.9 million viewers, followed by Yahoo! Sites, 42.8 million, and AOL, 31.5 million.
Internet users watched 5.9 billion videos on Google sites, with YouTube.com accounting for more than 99% of those. By videos and share of market, the leading sites in December, according to comScore, were (in millions):
- Google Sites, 5,905.85 41.2%
- Fox Interactive Media, 444.86, 3.1%
- Yahoo Sites, 330.02, 2.3%
- Viacom Digital, 290.55, 2.0%
- Microsoft Sites, 247.90, 1.7%
- Hulu.com, 240.58, 1.7%
- AOL, 197.13, 1.4%
- Turner Network, 183.94, 1.3%
- Disney Online, 148.43, 1.0%
- ESPN, 102.54, 0.7%
By unique visitors (in millions), with average number of videos viewed, the leading sites were:
- Google sites, 100.09, 59.0
- Fox Interactive Media, 56.89, 7.8
- Yahoo sites, 42.76, 7.7
- AOL, 31.522, 6.3
- Microsoft sites, 29.53, 8.4
- Viacom Digital, 27.37, 10.6
- Hulu.com, 24.57, 9.8
- Turner Network, 20.49, 9.0
- Time Warner (Excluding AOL), 17.29, 2.8
- CBS Corp., 14.84, 3.7
Other interesting findings from December 2008 include:
- 78.5% of the total U.S. Internet audience viewed online video.
- The average online video viewer watched 309 minutes of video, or more than 5 hours.
- 48.7 million viewers watched 367 million videos on MySpace.com (7.6 videos per viewer).
- The duration of the average online video was 3.2 minutes.
- The duration of the average online video viewed at Hulu was 10.1 minutes, higher than any other video property in the top ten.