February 22, 2007, 12:00 AM

Time Life digs deeper into its web pages to improve conversions

Time Life, which sells music CDs and digital entertainment products through TV infomercials and online, has used multi-variate web page testing to increase its web visitor-to-sales conversion rate by 5%.

Paul Demery

Managing Editor, B2B E-commerce

Time Life, which sells music CDs and other entertainment products through TV infomercials and online, has used multi-variate web page testing to increase its web visitor-to-sales conversion rate by 5%, Brad Sockloff, vice president of e-commerce, tells InternetRetailer.com.

“For our best sellers, we’ve produced a 75% to 190% lift in the number of products added to online shopping carts,” Sockloff says.

Time Life does about 20% of its sales online, the other 80% in infomercial-generated calls to its contact center, but Sockloff expects to increase the web share to at least 25%. One way he plans to do that is by using multi-variate web page testing software from Optimost LLC, he says.

While many retailers test the main landing and home pages that visitors reach through Internet search or other means, more retailers are beginning test pages further downstream, such as detailed product pages and checkout pages, says Mark Wachen, CEO of Optimost.

Time Life, for example, tested a static “order now” button on products against a flashing “click here” button, and found the latter produced a 7% lift in the number products added to shopping carts and an 11% increase in completed checkouts. “It was amazing to see how many people took the next step to enter products into the cart,” he says.

Time Life also began running a “Money-Back Guarantee” button that shoppers could click for details after tests showed its effectiveness at winning over customers. “We had always had a money-back guarantee, but we had never promoted it,” Sockloff says. But after testing pages with the guarantee against pages without it, it realized an 8.6% increase in the number of products added to carts and an 8% increase in complete checkouts, he says.

Time Life is a unit of Direct Holdings Americas Inc., which licenses the Time Life brand from Time Warner Inc.

Comments

Sign In to Make a Comment

Comments are moderated by Internet Retailer and can be removed.

Not a member? Signup for free today!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Relevant Commentary

FPO

Jason Squardo / Mobile Commerce

Five tips for achieving high mobile search rankings

Searches on mobile devices will soon exceed those on computers, Google says. Retailers that keep ...

FPO

Sergio Pereira / B2B E-Commerce

Quill turns to its B2B customers for new ideas

Coming in April is a new section of Quill.com that will let customers and Quill ...

Advertisement