January 8, 2002, 12:00 AM

The Sharper Image suffers a fall-off of web sales

Web-based sales at The Sharper Image suffered a year-to-year decline in December, falling 24% to $10.8 million compared to last December’s $14.3 million. Excluding auctions in the previous year’s numbers, web sales dropped 12%.

Kurt Peters

Executive Editor

 

Web-based sales at The Sharper Image suffered a year-to-year decline in December, the company reported today. The Sharper Image’s web sales fell 24% to $10.8 million in December compared to last December’s $14.3 million, which were double the prior year`s web sales. Excluding auctions in the previous year’s numbers, web sales dropped 12%.

Companywide sales fell 3% in December to $93.6 million, from $96.9 in December 2000. Comparable store sales fell 4% while total store sales increased 7%.

For the first 11 months of the fiscal year, total sales fell 7% to $358.5 million from $384.6 million. Internet sales decreased 18% to $46.1 million from last year`s $56.2 million. With online auction sales excluded from the comparison, Internet sales year-to-date decreased 3%. Until mid-year, Sharper Image had handled auctions of excess merchandise at its own site. It moved auctions to Internet auction sites where it believed it could generate greater revenue. Thus the auction numbers from last year are excluded for comparison to this year’s numbers.

The Sharper Image noted that excluding sales of Razor Scooters, which were the hot fad of 2000, December`s total sales increased 6%, store sales increased 17%, and comparable store sales, 5%.

 

Comments

Sign In to Make a Comment

Comments are moderated by Internet Retailer and can be removed.

Not a member? Signup for free today!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Relevant Commentary

FPO

Jason Squardo / Mobile Commerce

Five tips for achieving high mobile search rankings

Searches on mobile devices will soon exceed those on computers, Google says. Retailers that keep ...

FPO

Sergio Pereira / B2B E-Commerce

Quill turns to its B2B customers for new ideas

Coming in April is a new section of Quill.com that will let customers and Quill ...

Advertisement