Over 75 companies have selected Akamai EdgeSuiteSM as a key part of their Web operations
Cambridge, MA - August 20, 2001 - Akamai Technologies, Inc., the leading provider of distributed application and content delivery services, today announced that it has reached a significant milestone in EdgeSuite customer adoption. As of August 15th:
* Akamai has more than 75 EdgeSuite customers under recurring contract
* As previously announced, leading enterprise businesses leveraging Akamai`s EdgeSuite service include BestBuy.com, Inc., CCBN, L90, Monster.com, Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation, Six Flags, Inc., and Victoria`s Secret
"Today`s news demonstrates that EdgeSuite penetration is accelerating," said George Conrades, chairman and CEO of Akamai. "We are starting to experience significant growth in customer adoption for our EdgeSuite service from an enterprise market faced with the challenge of needing to integrate their computing infrastructures with Internet technologies."
Akamai EdgeSuite enables the assembly, presentation and delivery of an organization`s data and applications via Akamai`s global network of over 11,600 servers deployed close to end users at the Internet`s "edge." EdgeSuite reduces the costs and complexities associated with a business` centralized web serving infrastructure by distributing, managing, storing, processing, and delivering data and applications across IP networks.
Enterprise customers are adopting EdgeSuite for a variety of reasons and are realizing significant, tangible benefits. EdgeSuite enables businesses to:
- offload all of their Web traffic to Akamai`s global network without a single change to their existing infrastructure.
- enable the delivery of new applications and functionality that can`t be realized with centralized infrastructure solutions. Akamai`s support for Edge Side Includes (ESI) and new technologies like XSLT give content providers a critical competitive advantage to generate new revenue and accelerate the time-to-market of their e-business initiatives.
- enhance their customer-facing Web experience through the high-performance delivery of all components of a user`s interaction with a Web site (including static and dynamic content, streaming media and application delivery).
- benefit from 100% uptime through EdgeSuite`s ability to deliver default content in the event the source version of the Web site is unavailable.
- leverage Akamai`s geo-location and bandwidth characterization capabilities to build Web pages based on geographic origin, connection speed, browser type or a host of other information.
Akamai is the leading provider of distributed application and content delivery services. These services enable companies to reduce the complexity and cost of deploying and operating a uniform Web infrastructure while ensuring unmatched performance, reliability, scalability and manageability. Akamai`s services give businesses a distinct competitive advantage and provide an unparalleled Internet experience for their customers. Akamai`s intelligent edge platform for content, streaming media, and application delivery comprises more than 11,600 servers within over 820 networks in 62 countries. With headquarters in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Akamai provides services to companies worldwide. For information on Delivering a Better InternetSM, visit www.akamai.com.