(Page 2 of 2)
* Manage channel conflict. Moving online can trigger conflict between channels. Incumbents need to find creative ways to avoid conflict within the company and its supply chain.
* Exploit opportunities for partnering. Partnering can speed execution, give access to critical skills, and generate additional equity from incumbents` assets.
* Target total customer wallet. Incumbents should aim high and seek to capture 100 percent of category spending from each customer household.
* Use your best customer to model future improvements. Online retailers need to gain market understanding that is based not on averages but on in-depth dialogue with their best customers.
The Next Chapter in Business-to-Consumer E-Commerce: Advantage Incumbent is the latest report examining the impact of consumer behavior on the growth of online retailing. It relies primarily on a quantitative survey of 2,876 U.S. Internet purchasers conducted during the fourth quarter of 2000. Additional findings from this survey can also be found in the report Winning the Online Consumer 2.0: Converting Traffic into Profitable Relationships, released in February, 2001.
About The Boston Consulting Group
The Boston Consulting Group (BCG) is a general management consulting firm widely regarded as the global leader in business strategy. Since 1963, BCG has worked with companies in every major industry and global market to develop and implement strategies for competitive success. BCG has 49 offices in 32 countries around the world. For more information about BCG, please visit our site at www.bcg.com.
Media Contact: Martine Holmsen
The Boston Consulting Group
(416) 955-4212 email@example.com