The Top 500 retailer buys Campus Deals, which offers mobile coupons to college students.
Enlisting the web to fight web-based fraud
A new web site aims to help merchants share data about card fraud.
To fight crime, it is imperative to share knowledge about criminal activities. To that end, the Worldwide E-Commerce Fraud Prevention Network launched a web site Jan. 15 to share information, techniques and knowledge among members.
The site provides advice and information on keeping stolen credit card numbers out of circulation and prevent their use on merchants’ sites. Sample articles include:
- Five essential tools for preventing the use of stolen credit cards online.
- Tips on secure web hosting.
- Effectively reporting online crime.
- Future use of e-signatures for fraud prevention.
- Consumer tips for shopping safely online, which merchants can place on their web sites.
Merchantfraudsquad.com is the first initiative of The Worldwide E-Commerce Fraud Prevention Network, a not-for-profit organization formed last fall by American Express Co. Inc. and its coalition partners including Amazon.com and buy.com.